Making a career as a Marketing Manager is at its peak today. So through this article, we will know how to make a career in this marketing field. What kind of skill & responsibility should a marketing manager really have?
What is a Marketing Manager?
The Marketing Manager is the one who understands the needs of the customers and prepares a strategic plan to sell the products & Services accordingly.
A Marketing Manager works on all three things such as the growth of the company, customer satisfaction as well as his own development.
Firstly, the Marketing Manager understands market trends and objectives. After that submits a report to the company about the communication gap between the customers and the company.
Secondly, they always use many things like media campaigning, Email Marketing, TV Ads, Podcasting, Paid promotion to keep company products in the trend among the people.
Scope of Marketing Manager Career
If we compare the time between today and the last 20 or 25 years, the level of competition between organizations was very low.
And due to less competition, it was easier to build a high trust factor among customers for their services and products.
As a result, at that time the Marketing manager’s demand was very less in every small and big company.
But today’s time is completely opposite because today every small and big industry needs Marketing Managers to grow their business. Whereas in recent years, it has been noticed among the youth that they are very excited to make marketing manager a career.
In today’s era, every company definitely has a competitor. Undoubtedly the marketing manager plays the most important role to defeat the competition.
Therefore, the scope to make a career as a marketing manager is related to every field and its demand will continue to increase in the future.
The circle of the marketing manager’s field is quite large, so it would be a good decision to make a career in it.
Courses & Specialization for Marketing Manager
Candidates will have to undergo some educational programs to choose the Marketing Manager’s field.
To be an employee for the post of Marketing Manager, the minimum qualification of a candidate must be graduation.
Institutions and Universities run study programs in various fields. In which one can obtain a bachelor’s degree (BBA, B.com, BA, and BMS).
- Financial Services
- Human Resource Management
- Management Information System
- Finance & Business Management
- Business Administration
After that, candidates can apply for the post of Marketing Manager in any reputed company after taking Bachelor Degree in these various fields.
While there are also some companies that demand a candidate’s master’s degree qualification for the Marketing Manager post.
Or candidates can also do a master’s degree to enhance their knowledge, theoretical and practical experiences.
There are so many MBA/PGDM/MS courses and specializations in which candidates can apply for the Master’s Degree.
- Masters in Finance
- Masters in Advertising
- Masters in Marketing Management
- Masters in Human Resources
- Masters in Business Data Analytics
- Masters in Business Administration
How to become Marketing Manager after 12?
- After completing 12th (minimum 55% Marks), one can enroll for the Bachelor’s degree (For example BBA, BA, B.com) on the basis of entrance examination or merit list.
- Candidates can participate in various entrance exams for the BBA program, such as DU JAT, NPAT, IPMAT, IPU SET, AIMA UGAT, etc. which are conducted by top institutes.
- After taking a Bachelor’s degree, the candidate can either apply for a Marketing Manager post or continue further studies and enroll in the Master’s specialization.
- To pursue Masters’s Course, candidates can take admission in a reputed college under CAT, XAT, and NMAT Entrance Exam.
Prior to being selected for the post of Marketing Manager, the experiences of the candidates are given more importance.
Therefore, candidates should take 1 or 2 years of internship or experience during their academic education (Between Bachelors’s degrees).
As a result, the selection process becomes very easy for experienced people.
Marketing Manager Skills
Marketing Managers play an important role and contribute very significantly to the growth of any company.
Career as a Marketing Manager
It is very important to have multiple skills such as Technical and non-technical skills, Digital skills, Marketing skills, and official skills.
- Be ready for new ideas
- Should have Critical-thinking
- Beware of risk factors
- Analytical skills
- Knowing Buyers Perspective
- Social Media skills for campaigning
- Technical & Non-technical skills
- Problem-solving Nature
- Basic knowledge of computer (MS Office)
- Plenary Approach
- Assessment & Forecasting
- Knowing Market behavior (Ups & Down)
- Ability to maintain Accuracy
- Multi-tasking capability
- Digital Marketing Skills (Social Media, Paid Campaign, Ads, SEO)
- Ensuring timely delivery
Also Read: Career as a Software Engineer
Marketing Manager Job Roles/Designations
Several internal processes are performed to make products and services easily accessible to the public.
For example; Social Media Marketing, TV Ads, Paid Promotions, Budgeting, Planning, Forecasting, Content Publishing, etc.
Therefore, based on these different tasks, a marketing manager gets different job tags, which is like this.
- Marketing Communication Manager
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Business Development For Pricing
- Social Media Manager
- Client Servicing Manager
- Marketing Operations Manager
- Product Marketing Manager
- Marketing Data Manager
- Content Marketing Manager
- Advertising Manager
- Project Manager
- Product Marketing Manager
- Brand Marketer
- Promotion Directors
- Market Analyst
Is Marketing Manager a good career?
Many people would have a lot of doubt whether it would be right to pursue a career as a Marketing Manager or not.
So in this next article, we will look at the pros and cons of this field.
1. Pros of Marketing Manager
Between competing companies, each company needs a marketing manager to make products and services stand out in the market.
So in every small and big company, there is a great need for a Marketing Manager.
High Salary Package
High pay package, the only major reason is to make a career in this field. There is a huge jump in salary as employee experience increases.
Due to changing market trends, customer feedback, interaction with people, changing technology is an opportunity for continuous learning.
Personal & Professional Growth
Constant learning in this area and facing challenges is a major reason for personal & professional development.
2. Cons of Marketing Manager
Dealing with more than one program is a cause for irritation. And due to multi-tasking, there is no focus on one place which reduces productivity.
If the target set by the company is not achieved then there can be tension or mental issue.
A lot of responsibility has to be done which in itself has to play a very challenging role. For example Budgeting, Client satisfaction, Forecasting, Planning, Advertising, etc.
What does a Marketing Manager do?
Marketing Manager is considered an important part of any company. They use both technical and non-technical methods for the development of any company.
Since Marketing Manager’s job is multitasking, so their responsibilities are enormous.
Responsibilities of Marketing Manager
- The marketing manager finds out the company’s position by doing an in-depth analysis of the company’s current situation.
- By analyzing the situation of the company, forming the goal of the company, what to achieve.
- Preparing and presenting fluctuation reports on a regular basis to the Senior Project Manager in the company.
- Formulating a strategic plan and identifying the views of customers keeping in mind the competitors.
- Maintaining the brand value of the company among the people by promoting it through social media.
- Preparation of marketing budget under a plan in the amount allocated by the company.
- Troubleshooting such as customer dissatisfaction.
- Generate high traffic by creating schemes such as coupon codes or heavy discounts on the company’s website.
- Reducing the bounce rate of a company’s website by properly designing and optimizing it.
- Creating qualitative and quantitative content for more traffic.
- Maintaining interpersonal relationships with the sales department, vendors, and marketing team.
- Increasing the sales rate by considering the Buyers perspective well.
- Measuring the company’s success rate semi-annually or annually.
- Management of marketing department employees.
- Ability to communicate in different languages.
Marketing Manager Salary/Payscale
A Marketing Manager’s salary depends on his or her skills, experience, knowledge, and type of workplace.
Instead of a salary, the marketing manager gets a bonus, profit sharing, and commission separately.
- The average salary in India is between 6.9 LPA to 8.4 LPA.
- While for the fresher (with internship) the starting salary is between 3 LPA to 5 LPA.
- At the mid-level (4-7 years experience), the Marketing manager’s salary is between 7 LPA and 10 LPA.
- At senior level (7-10 years experience), salary varies between 10 LPA to 25 LPA or many more.
Here are the salary details of some Marketing Managers.
- Average Experienced Marketing Manager Salary (HCL Tech)- 2.2m INR per annum
- Experienced Marketing Manager salary (Amazon) -1.1m INR per Annum
- Average Senior Marketing Manager Salary in India – 1.3m INR per Annum
- Digital Marketing Manager Salary at Senior level in India -1m INR per Annum
- Average Brand Marketing Manager Salary in India – 1m INR per Annum (Values taken from Payscale.com)
Where does the Marketing Manager work?
In today’s time, every company needs a marketing strategy to promote its products and services. So it is easy for a Marketing Manager to find work in the market.
According to salary and working conditions, a manager should work in these areas.
- E-Commerce Company ( Facebook, Flipkart, Amazon etc)
- Banking Sector
- Educational Sites ( Byju’s, Vedantu, Unacademy)
- Automobiles Company
- Insurance Sector
- Corporate Sector
Top companies that provide jobs for Marketing Managers
Here, some companies are given names that provide a good salary and working environment.
- Amazon.com Inc
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- HCL Technologies Ltd
- SBI Life Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Godrej & Boyce Manufacturing
- Future Group
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Tata Steel
- Reliance Industries
Top College in India for Marketing Manager
Here are some college names from which Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees can be taken.
- Faculty of Management Studies, Delhi University
- Indian Institute of Management – IIM Lucknow
- All India Management Association, New Delhi
- Delhi school of Internet Marketing, New Delhi
- Management Development Institute – MDI Gurugram
- National Institute of Information Technology – Gurugram
- Department of Management Studies, IIT Delhi
- Indian Institute of Management – Raipur
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management – Pune
- Indian Institute of Management – IIM Indore
- IIT- Indian Institute of Technology- Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering – Mumbai
A Marketing Manager is fully aware of the market turmoil. And taking the help of technology, it implements new ways to make products and services accessible to people.
Finally, the marketing manager can achieve an initial plan that is solid and complete. The plan will consider all the factors that will affect the initial move in the market.