Table of Contents
Career as a Software Engineer
In today’s era, computers are used in every field, be it small scale industries or multi-industry. Therefore, the use of computers has been included in every field day by day. But with the increasing use of computers, many people have got employment opportunities. And this is the big reason for making a career as a software engineer.
Today, all the big companies of the world are adopting virtualization strategies, due to which the demand for this field is increasing day by day. Many companies are choosing specialized people to protect their web-based software and to grow the business so that the fears of the coming can be avoided.
Therefore, in order to advance in the computer field, there is a set of the basic education program which is necessary. So, a person can works for an organization by acquiring specialized knowledge in Computer Science or in Information Technology.
What is Software Engineering?
“It is the branch of science in which software is developed and designed based on technical aspects and management issues.”
Is Software Engineer a Good Career?
If seen in today’s time, then Software Engineering is a major factor in GDP growth of any country.
Therefore, among all developed countries, their infrastructure, machinery, literacy, and defense system are competing to get a higher status.
Therefore, today’s era is impossible for any country without Computers and the Internet. But looking at the competition, it’s very difficult to guess whether it will be good or bad to make a career in this engineering field for a person.
So, we will review both those aspects as to why and why not make a Career as a Software Engineer.
Why should we pursue a career as a Software Engineer?
Pros of software engineering
- Area of Interest: – If you have a special love for computers since your childhood, in which you are more interested in coding, programming, so making your career in it will be a better decision for your future.
- Good Salary Package:-The salary of a software engineer depends more on his creative ideas and experience. There are a lot of fields in this engineering field such as App development, Web developer, Database Developer, Data Architect, Data Scientist, and many more. Therefore, depending on the different designations, the company offers different annual packages. The salary of an Indian software engineer is much less than the salary of an outside country Engineer. If salary is a major factor, then you can apply for it in a foreign country as well.
- High Demand:- In today’s time, every small and big company needs a software engineer, so its demand is very high in every sector. Big companies (Amazon, Google, Tesla, Facebook) are working on emerging technologies such as virtual reality, Blockchain, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Cryptocurrency, Cybersecurity, etc. so that the demand for this field is going to be very high. There are many fields like Data mining, Artificial Intelligence, VFX and Animation, DevOps Developer, Web Development, Testing, and Maintenance of Software, etc. in which there will be a lot of demand in the coming time. The demand for a better and experienced software engineer is very high at both national and international levels.
- Working Environment:-The good thing for a Software Engineer is that all their work is official, in which they have their cabin and air-conditioned space. Getting the chance to work with people more efficient and promising than you. In this, there is a respect between each other as well as a helping nature between the employees.
- Awareness in upcoming technology:- This is a career in which we constantly keep learning new things. If your first priority is to learn more about new things then this is a better option. Keeping in mind the changing technology and human needs, if you upgrade yourself, you will prove to be a boon for yourself.
- Be your own boss:- You can also become your own boss by doing your startup. If there is a knowledge of computer science, then we can make a good income by doing freelancing, web developing, Data entry, Blogging, App development, etc. Through your startup plan, you can provide employment to people with a good income.
Why shouldn’t we make a career as a software engineer ?
Cons of software engineering
- Multi skills:-In a software engineer, it is important to have better skills such as knowledge of coding or programming languages, Fluent English, keep learning ability, Problem-solving nature, Command on mathematical logic, Teamwork skills, etc.
- The lifelong learning process:-This field can prove to be quite a pain for those who do not update themselves due to changing trends. As long as you stay in this profession, you will have to learn new things.
- A stressful job:-It is quite stressful to sit continuously and complete the work in the stipulated time. If you are the leader of the team, then giving a lot of instruction and explaining it repeatedly increases the friction.
- Health Issue:- Continuous sitting in front of the computer has a profound effect on the visibility of the eyes. Constant sitting also causes obesity.
Type of Courses, Duration & Eligibility criteria:-
What are the education requirements for a Software Engineer/ Developer?
How to start a career in Software Engineer?
Becoming a Software Engineer depends on the choice of the candidate after matriculation or after 12th.
To become a Software Engineer, the candidate has to participate in the entrance examination conducted at State and National level. On the basis of marks obtained in the entrance exam, they have to enroll in Colleges or Universities.
So let’s take a look at those different Courses and their Duration.
1. Diploma Course:-
For the diploma course, the candidate must pass the 10th class. Under the Diploma (Polytechnic) entrance exam conducted by various states of India, the candidates get admission in the Government College.
Many private colleges admit the students on the merit basis of the marks obtained by them in Matriculation.
The Duration of this course is 3 years.
Different field of diploma courses-
|Type of Courses||Duration|
|Diploma in Computer Science||3 Years|
|Diploma in Information Technology||3 Years|
|Diploma in Computer Hardware Technology||3 Years|
|Diploma in Hardware and Networking||3 Years|
Eligibility Criteria- It is necessary to have a science stream in class 10th for Software Engineering.
2. Bachelor Course:-
In order to do a Bachelor’s course, the candidate must have passed class 12th. For admission to the Under Graduation Course, the candidates have to participate in the entrance examination conducted at the State and National level.
On the basis of the cut-off of the Entrance Examination, there is a provision to enroll the candidates in Government and Private Colleges.
Different field of Bachelor Courses-
|Type of Courses||Duration|
|B.Tech in Computer Science||4 Years|
|B.Tech in Information Technology||4 Years|
|Bachelor of Computer Application(BCA)||3 Years|
|B.Sc. in Computer Science||3 Years|
|B.Sc. in Information Technology||3 Years|
For Software Engineering, it is mandatory for the candidates to have a science stream (Physics, Chemistry and Math) in class 12th with minimum 45%-55% percentage.
3. Master Course:-
It is mandatory for the candidate to have a Bachelor in order to do the Master’s course. Apart from this, it is compulsory to have Mathematics subject in Graduations or 12th Standard.
Admission under the GATE Entrance Exam is the most effective way to do a Master’s course. The Admission Process depends on both the Entrance Exam and Merit base.
Different field of Master Courses-
|Type of Courses||Duration|
|M.Tech in Computer Science||2 Years|
|M.Tech in Information Technology||2 Years|
|Master of Computer Application||3 Years|
|M.Sc. in Computer Science||2 Years|
Admission under the GATE Entrance Exam is the most effective way to do a Master’s course. Admission in a good college depends on the score obtained in the Entrance Exam.
For taking admission in some private colleges, it is necessary to have a minimum of 55%- 60% marks in the Bachelor’s course.
4. Doctorate Course (PhD):-
The main purpose of doing a doctorate in computer science is to examine all the aspects of this field under research and analysis.
|Type of Courses||Duration|
|Doctorate in Computer Science||2-5 Years|
Many Universities in India provide their different eligibility program to do Doctorate. Universities conduct their own Entrance Exam for doing Ph.D. Course.
- It is mandatory to have an undergraduate (B.Tech/B.E) and postgraduate (Master Degree) to do a Ph.D. course.
- Some Universities offer to do Ph.D. courses only after getting a Masters in Philosophy (M.Phil).
- While some Universities conduct admission through Entrance Exams like UGC NET/JRF for admission in Ph.D.
Software Engineer Skills:-
- There should be a better and stronger communication skill so that whenever you do teamwork or interact with any person, you can explain your things.
- There should be a hold on the basic programming rooted in your academic education so that it can be used in a practical way.
- Instead of learning different programming, learn those programming or coding methods so that you can implement them effectively.
- Sticking to the upcoming technology.
- Having the ability to work on multiple technologies or programming languages.
- The hold of technical skill is a great contribution to any software developer in understanding practical analysis, technical writing, mathematical concepts, project management, Data analysis, Hardware & Software etc.
- Understanding the time value of any project and having the ability to find better ways to solve problems.
- Make your failures your strength and have the ability to master your field.
- The ability to find the best makes you an experienced person.
- Also, pay attention to physical activity to remove the stress that occurs.
What are roles and responsibilities of a Software Engineer?
The main role of a Software Engineer is to Design, Implement, Research, Analyze, Testing etc. Responsibility of a Software Engineer is based on the rules and goals set by the organization. Therefore, it will review the role and responsibility on the basis of Academic Education and organization guidelines.
Role of Software Engineer
- Testing & Deployment
Responsibilities of Software Engineer
- Constantly taking corrective decisions in view of changing methods & technology.
- Creating a support team that implements new things and resolves regular occurrences simultaneously.
- Always seek support from data analysts, project managers,s and team leaders for an effective solution.
- Find solutions to complex problems by taking the help of flowcharts, documentation, layout, and diagrams.
- Improving the existing program and preserving it by using efficient code on them.
- To maintain mobility and enlightenment of software system, seek help from data scientist, operational clients, and colleagues.
- Keeping the functionality and information of the software system secret.
- To learn and apply the new programming language.
- Determining the duration of project planning according to the company and the consumer needs.
- Improving policies and procedures by assessing the side effects of existing systems.
- Programming of manual testing on a regulator basis.
- Use programming tools to implement code better.
- Maintaining plans for bug fixing, upgrades and enhancements to software systems for customer determinations.
Also Read: How to become Commercial Pilot in India
Pay Scale/Salary of Software Engineer
A Software Engineer salary depends on many things. The following factors can be for the differences in the salary of a software engineer.
For example- Work location, Skill, Experiences, Knowledge, Designation of the employee in a previous company, Project accomplished etc.
The work of a software engineer is divided into different departments. Therefore, their salary is based on a prescribed working style and literacy. If you talk about fresher in India, then the starting salary is between 2.5 lakh – 4.5 lakh.
After an experience gain of two or three years (Mid-level), the annual package increases from 5.5 lakh to 7.5 lakh.
For those engineers who have experience of 10+ years, the company gives them a very large salary.
For the IT profession (Software Engineer) the Average Salary Pay in foreign countries such as the United States ranges from $65k to $178k per annum.
Top companies for Software Engineer
Here are some of the top listed companies which provide very good salary and work environment.
- Tata Consultancy Services Limited (TCS)
- Tech Mahindra Ltd
- Cisco system Inc
- HCL Technologies Ltd
- Accenture Technology Solutions
- Hexaware Technologies Limited
- Wipro Ltd
- Tata InfoTech
- Redington India Ltd
Top College in India for Software Engineer
Some private and public colleges are listed here, which is the best for Software Engineering courses.
- (IIT) Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- (DTU) Delhi Technological University, Delhi
- (IIT) Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University – Pune
- (IIT) Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- (IIT) Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- (IIT) Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- SRM Engineering College, Kanchipuram
- Jain University – Bangalore
- Amity University, Gurgaon
Some Job Title/ Designation for Software Engineer
There are some popular listed job designations which are required for the company.
- Web Developer (Front End, Back-End, Full Stack)
- App Developer
- Data Engineer
- QA Engineer
- Network Engineer
- Application Security Engineer
- Programmer Analyst
- Computer Programmer
- Business Information Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Data Architect
- Cyber Security
- Cloud Engineer
- Robotics Engineer
- Graphic Designer
Books & Study Material for Software Engineer
If you want to beat the entrance exam (JEE Main, Advance, BITSAT, VITEEE, etc.) then you will have to read a few selected books for that. So, below is a list of some books which will be helpful for both beginners and moderators.
- Data Structures And Algorithms – Narasimha Karumanchi (Beginners)
- Computer Networking: A Top-down approach ( 7th Edition)
- Software Engineering: A Practitioner Approach by Roger S. Pressman
- Introduction Of Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen
- GATE Practice Sets by Pearson
- Digital Logic – Morris Mano